Monday, July 22, 2013

So Many Books...So Little Time


So I realized on the way to work this morning how much of a nerd I really am.  I was thinking I needed to blog about my most recent read, and I started to think back on some of my favorite books. A few weeks ago, my friends and I were discussing some of our favorite books read while in school. One of my friends said that The Grapes of Wrath was her favorite (fantastic choice...it is my favorite of all time). It hit me that I didn't read Steinbeck for class, I picked it off of my Dad's book shelf and read it in the sixth grade...total geek.

Back to the book review...I really enjoyed this novel my Maria Semple. Where'd You Go, Bernadette is a great page-turner written in an original format. Semple strings together a series of letters, receipts, emails and commentary from 14 year old, Bee, to tell a colorful, compelling story about a dysfunctional family. Semple wants us to realize the "crazy" in all of our families, and learn how to love each other through it.

I hate to summarize in these reviews, so I will just say that at its core its a family love story and a daughter's struggle to understand her volatile mother's past. Ultimately, Where'd You Go, Bernadette teaches us to never give up on the ones we love, and we could all use a little more of that message in this world.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment