Saturday, November 17, 2012

My Engagement Story

I can't believe I am writing this! Brian and I had talked about marriage and when the right time for it would be for quite some time, but I must admit that he completely surprised me in my favorite city in the world.

...let me back up...

This year for my birthday Brian and I decided that we should go on a trip; I suggested New York because he had never been, and as I mentioned it is my favorite city! :) {I should mention that this whole trip was made possible by Brian's super generous mother who donated many hotel points to help our costs!} We decided to postpone the trip from my birthday month {September} until November because we wanted to get a little bit of cold weather and hopefully see some Christmas decorations.

I had planned what I thought was a pretty great trip...here was the itinerary...

Friday:

  • Arrive at approximately 10:00 A.M.
  • Lunch at the Shake Shack in the Flatiron District 

  • Walk around and see some of the "iconic" buildings
Flatiron Building 

Empire State Building
Chrysler Building and Grand Central Station

Inside Grand Central

  • Visit High Line Park



Saturday:
  • Visit the Brooklyn Heights Promenade and walk the Brooklyn Bridge 



  • Visit the Financial District 
NYSE
Freedom Tower
  • Dinner with friends in Times Square and "Once"

Sunday:
  • Delicious Brunch at SaraBeth's
  • Walk around Central Park
I can pick up my engagement story here...I was hoping that Brian would ask me to marry him in NYC, but I had my doubts...he waited until the last day of our trip, and I was certain that it would not happen this time. I even mentioned on Sunday morning that I had hoped it would happen in NYC, but I guessed it would be another time {little did I know he had the ring in his pocket}. We had a fantastic brunch at SaraBeth's on the Upper East Side and decided to take the rest of the day to leisurely walk through Central Park. We had just started our walk around the lake when Brian suggested a detour through the grass to a more secluded area {naturally I argued with this seemingly illogical way of walking through the park...not to mention, he had us backtracking!}. After a brief persuasion, I followed Brian to the grassy area by the lake. At this point I was still unsuspecting; Brian then put his arm around me and told me about how much he loved being with me; {I started to get a little suspicious at this point} before I knew it he was standing in front of me looking a little bit nervous. For some reason I grabbed his jacket pocket and there it was, I felt the ring box. I gasped and started crying while repeatedly saying, "Brian, are you serious?" as he got down to one knee he simply said, "Ashley, I love you. Will you marry me?" {direct and to the point...just like me :) } He put the ring on my finger and between my sobs he said, "Did you say 'yes'?" I said, "Of course!" and we preceded to call family members and tell them the great news! 

I was in shock the rest of the day and still am to some extent, but I will never forget the most perfect day spent together. I am one blessed girl!








Here's to the beginning of a beautiful marriage and life together!

No comments:

Post a Comment