Friday, November 30, 2012

Let's Talk Crafting

Christmas always seems to put me in a crafty state of mind. So on Wednesday I headed to my local fabric store hoping to liven up my space for the holidays. What better way to do just that than with a little tassel garland?

Here's what you'll need:
  • Fabric-I purchased 1/2 yard for each type that I wanted
  • Scissors 
  • Needle and thread
  • Ribbon or lace 

Here's what you do:
  • Cut the fabric into a rectangle (approximately the size of a piece of computer paper 11.5x7)
  • Cut strips long-ways into the fabric (approximately 1/3 into the fabric on both sides, leaving 1/3 uncut in the middle)
This is not my picture. Didn't document my process...whoops! 


  •  Roll the fabric into a tube
  • Fold the tube in half and secure the fold with a single stitch (on the "un-fringed" part of the tassel) using the needle and thread (make sure you leave room above your stitch to thread the ribbon or lace through)
  • Tie a strip of fabric around the "un-fringed" portion of the tassel to cover the stitch that you just made (again, leaving room above the tie to thread ribbon or lace through)
  • Thread your tassels onto a strip of ribbon or lace
Now you can hang your tassel garland over a window as a window treatment, wrap it around your Christmas tree or just play around with it! It looks great anywhere. I decided to do mine for the holidays, but I think I will leave it up year round...it looks that great!

Window treatment total cost: $18

No comments:

Post a Comment